Re: Recovering LVM

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:42:00AM -0500, Joe Dolence wrote:
>
>>Well, I don't know what happened to my system (Fedora Core 3). It's been
>>a few days since I've used it as I've been trying out Fdora Core 4 Test
>>1 on a another system. This evening, I tried to boot up the system with
>>Fedora Core 3 on it, this is a dual boot machine with Windows XP (The XP
>>part works).
>>

> <snip>
>
>>I tried to boot with the Repair CD and see what I can do, There are 3
>>partitions on the drive, the first is for Windows XP, the second is the
>>/boot for the Fedora Core 3 installation and the 3rd is this LVM, I
>>presume it's the rest of the Fedora Core 3 installation. I can mount the
>> /dev/hda2 partition and see the /boot directory, but I don't know how,
>>if possible, to mount the /dev/hda3 (LVM) partiton, to try and "fix" it.
>>
>>Does anyone have any recommenatins on how to "repair" this situation? Or
>>at least where I can look to find the answer. I've looked around for a
>>few hours on the fedora list... searched google for info on LVM (I can't
>>even seem to locate a man page for LVM, as I've run LVM from the rescue
>>CD and could check out info on the LVM, but the help screen only shows
>>the last 25 or so available "commands")... I saw a few items that looked
>> similar, but no references to dm-0 (what is that?) or how to fix this
>>particular situation.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Joe
>
> All sorts of LVM infoirmation can be gotten by googling LVN Fedora Core
> 3.

I mentioned that I searched quite a bit before asking the question. And
I've searched even more since then. I've picked up some "LVM" commands
and was at least able to get the "VolGroup00" listed in the /dev folder.
There are 2 files in the /dev/VolGroup00 folder called LogVol00 and
LogVol01. One is the root directory and the other is the swap partition,
I'm quite sure. I still  haven't figured out how to mount this yet, at
least to make sure I get some files off of it, but I was hoping I could
get the system going again.

Again, any help from someone who might have solved this problem would be
 great.

The /boot partition seems fine, I'm able to mount that after booting off
the rescue CD and edit the grub.conf file. What else could be broken?
Would re-installing grub maybe fix the problem on not being able to
"mount" the LVM? Grub seem to be working fine.

Thanks,
Joe