Re: ideal partitionning for a workstation user

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:43:50AM +0000, hicham wrote:
>   what 's the ideal partitionning for a workstation user  ?
> I've got a small /boot partition with 20 Mo aand the remaining for /

20MB may be too small for boot -- kernel updates can accumulate.

I recommend making /home on a separate partition -- that way, if you want to
reinstall, upgrade in a very clean way, or even switch distros, you can blow
away the system partition and leave your user data alone. (Generally, this
means a / of 4-8GB and the rest as /home.)

> the reason I'm asking this is that it seems that everytime I have lot
> of read write on the hard disk,( yum update for example)  it "lags" or
> stalls my pc

How much memory do you have? You can maybe help performance some by
rearranging your partitions, but except maybe in disk-specific benchmarks,
the difference isn't usually going to be something you notice.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>