Re: intelligent iptables gui's

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 21:27 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2005 20:18, Vinicius wrote:
> >Paul Howarth escreveu:

> >> That's strange because I've got one:
> >>
> >> $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent/track.py
> >> BitTorrent-4.0.1-1.fc3
> >>
> >> RPM from http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/bittorrent/
> >>
> >> Paul.
>
> It appears I do too, using that test:
> [root@gene /]# rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent/track.py
> BitTorrent-4.0.1-1
>
> Is there some env var I have to set to make sure it looks in the python-2.3
> subdir instead of python-2.2, python-2.1, or even python-1.5.  All 5 are
> present on that RH7.3 system.
>
> I just did an strace on the bttrack.py, and its looking in the python-1.5
> tree, failing that and giving up.
>
> In the FWIW category, in the above path for /usr/lib/python-2.3/site-packages,
> BitTorrent is the only package installed there.
>
> Call me puzzled.  That system was maintained by up2date until the service
> was discontinued.  From the clues, it would seem that I need to go get
> python-2.3 and install it.
>
> But the local copy of yum cannot find any python.  Can you suggest a repo
> path to add to yum.conf for an old RH7.3 system?

Ah, it appears you have installed a Fedora RPM built for python 2.3 on
an old Red Hat box running python 1.5 (and possibly 2.2). BitTorrent
requires at least python 2.2.1, and you're in luck because the last
update release for python2 for RH73 was python2-2.2.2. So if you do:

# yum install python2-devel

then you should get a suitable version of python installed. You'll then
need to build a BitTorrent package against that version of python, which
may need a bit of tweaking to get it to use python2 rather than python.
You won't be able to install the GUI on such an old box but the terminal
version should be OK.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>