Re: Help Needed configuring Samba on Webserver

Tim Holmes wrote:
I really hate to be daft here, but I am still not understanding
something:

I want samba to accept the password that is supplied as part of the
connection from windows,  when it does this, it should check against

my

password server (the domain controller) instead of the smbpasswd

file,

can someone point me in the right direction.  I agree with the one
respondent that said that from a security standpoint it is very bad
practice to have each user give me their network password to enter

into

the smbpasswd file, but I haven't been able to get samba to

authenticate

against the domain, instead of the smbpasswd, so right now that's

the

only recourse I have

---- samba has a lot of documentation - well done - probably the best of

all

open source projects

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/

has links to both the 'How-To' and the 'by Example'

From what you have stated above, I am gathering that you should have
security = domain and winbindd set up but I didn't follow the thread
from the start.

Best to work this through so you get an understanding of it.

Craig

[Tim Holmes wrote] Craig and others:

Excellent suggestion, and I am currently working this through. I am
using the guide in the samba-HOW-TO document, in the fast start segment,
to set up a domain member server, as this describes precisely what I am
looking for. I have copied in the suggested smb.conf (thankfully I have
a spare server that is serving as a testbed), modified it slightly to
fit our domain (our domain name, proper netbios name, removing the
shares that don't apply etc) now I am trying to get things running.

I executed the net rpc join command supplying the proper credentials for
our domain, and it successfully joined the domain

I started nmbd, and smbd, but when ever I try to start windbindd, I get
an error that the command is not found.  I am guessing that it means
that the windbind daemon is not installed, but im not sure as I may be
missing another concept someplace else -- can someone please point me in
the right direction.

winbindd is part of the samba-common package and is installed in /usr/sbin. "service winbind start" should start it if you've got your PATH set properly (i.e. using "su -" and not just "su").

Paul.