Re: how do I view pdf in firefox x86-64?

On Apr 10, 2005 10:53 AM, sean darcy <seandarcy2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whenever I try to get pdf files in firefox, the files downloads, the
> tab shows the name of the file, no error message, but NOTHING
> displays.
>
> I'm using mozplugger-1.7.1-4.x86_64  which has:
>
> application/pdf: pdf: PDF file
> application/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
> text/pdf: pdf: PDF file
> text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
>         repeat swallow(documentShell) fill: acroread -geometry
> +9000+9000 +useFrontEndProgram "$file"
>         repeat noisy swallow(Xpdf) fill: xpdf -g +9000+9000 "$file"
>         repeat noisy swallow(gv) fill: gv -safer -quiet -antialias
> -geometry +9000+9000 "$file"
>
> I have acroread 7, but it didn't work with acroread 5 either. Of
> course acroread is x386. But I assume this must work for others.
>
> sean

Hi Sean,

You cannot use 32-bit plugins with a 64-bit browser.  You cannot use
Flash or Java plugins either.  If you really want to use the plugin,
uninstall firefox and install the 32-bit version (downloaded from your
favorite mirror).  You'll have to manually update it since the 32-bit
version is not in the x86_64 tree.  I use Acrobat Reader 7 with the
plugin with 32-bit firefox; it works quite well, and I suggest this
(if you want a 64-bit brower too, you can have 64-bit mozilla
installed as well, but only one arch of firefox at a time).
Alternatively, you could set firefox to download the PDF and
automatically open it in Acrobat Reader.  That would give a similar
effect.  I think those are your choices for now.  Maybe Adobe will one
day make a 64-bit Reader and plugin.

Jonathan