Re: Sendmail & Cyrus-imapd

GPL wrote:
Hi folks, I'm starting my first jump into working with a Linux mail
server. So far from what I have read I need sendmail for SMTP and some
other service for POP/IMAP. From what I see the thing to use with
fedora is Cyrus-imapd. My goal is to run a mail server for a handful
of people in a non mission critical environment that can be accessed
by outlook/thunderbird, etc.. A learning experience mainly.

I have found this by searching the list:
http://www.bsodmike.com/articles/sendmail&cyrus.php

Can anyone suggest links to online reading I can use for this new
mission I am on?

By the way, in one piece of documentation I was reading for Cyrus
there was mention of accessing the /etc/inetd.conf file. However on my
FC3 install that is no where to be seen. Is it something I need to
create or perhaps my reading  material was outdated?

Fedora uses xinetd (configuration files in /etc/xinetd.d) rather than the traditional /etc/inetd.conf file as it is more flexible.

cyrus will be a big learning curve for you, especially given the relatively simple nature of what you're trying to set up, so I'd suggest trying dovecot as a simpler POP/IMAP server instead.

Paul.