Re: Anoying Peter Whalley Spam messages.

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 09:30, David Liguori wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:29 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> >
> >>David Hoffman wrote:
> >>

> >>TMDA anoys people.  Period.  Even if they reply to chanlenges, most of
> >>them are anoyed they had to jump through the loops in order to
> >>communicate with you.  The fact you don't know they are anoyed (or don't
> >>care to know) doesn't mean they are not anoyed.
> >
> > ---
> > guilty as charged - any of my friends that send me these things that I
> > must acknowledge to send them email goes into the bit bucket for the
> > terminally clueless.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> My own feeling about using anti-spam measures that actively annoy people,

> as well as the spam issue in general, is that it's not a big enough issue to take such measures.

> If you take reasonable precautions with your email address and use spam filtering,

> what gets through is not nearly as annoying as people telephoning your home selling credit

> card offers.  Just delete it, and move on.  Those who complain of getting thousands of

> spams a day should figure out what they may have done to encourage such a situation,

> learn from their mistakes, and swallow the inconvenience of getting a new email address.

A new email address is not needed.  There are several very effective
spam filters out there such a spamassassin that can eliminate 90% of the
spam one might receive.  The reminder that gets through is easily
handled.  You are correct, simple measures can remove 90% of the spam
from your inbox.  If you have control of an MTA greylisting in
combination with spamassassin is as near 100% effective as you can get
with any type of solution.  TMDA is a solution that annoys most legit
users and for that reason alone is not a very good solution.

As far as the telephone solicitors, the national do not call registry
works wonders.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

I selected E5 ... but I didn't hear "Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs"!