Re: Generating a PCL file from PDF file

Gregory P. Ennis writes:

Everyone,

I have one last remaining Microsoft function that I would like to
transfer to my Linux system. Once this is done I will most likely be
able to turn off my Microsoft system or better yet put a Fedora Core $
on it.

I need to be able to create a PCL file out of a Word, PDF, or other file
type.  What I have done with Windows XP is to  print the file to a PCL
printer like a HP4si.  To Create the PCL file all I have to do is to
check the text file box on the print menu.  When this is done Windows
captures the print stream to a file instead of sending it to the
printer.

The reason I need to do this is to create PCL macros that can be
downloaded to a PCL printer.  I am sure there is an easy way to do this
in Fedora Core 3 but I have not figured it out yet.  Your help would be
appreciated.

You can use pdf2ps to convert the PDF file to Postscript, then you can use ghostscript to convert Postscript to a PCL file.

Ghostscript is a bit of a pain to use, but once you have it worked out the right options, the process will go smoothly.