Re: Can't reboot, shutdown, or init 3

Kevin wrote:

Sorry to be a pain Arthur, but I was wondering if you
were running iptables, firestarter etc', what your
rules were (generally), and what servers you ran, ie
smb/mysql/httpd/php/telnet et al.

I lost 160gigs of data a few weeks ago and have just
finished recovering it, that's why I'm starting to
worry again :(

Regards.......Kev.

--- Arthur Pemberton <dalive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kevin wrote:

I would be very interested to know how they got in,

if

you find out please let us know. Some of us might

be

able to sleep a little easier :)

Will do. I don't want to spend too much time cring
over spill milk, so I think I'll just copy /var/log to my desktop and
analyze them there. I don't think I should go into much forensics on this.
Had the box been more hardened and they still gotten in, then I would
be more paranoid.

I intend to make the box ALOT harder next time. I
shouls start recovery by 1300 hrs. EST

Yah, thanks. I've already found out the name of

the

rootkit. I jsut need to find out how it got in.

Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!

Movies.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com