serial service problem

On boot, right after the command 'start serial service' I get a long string of entries like this:

Cannot set serial info: invalid arg

I believe this may have been set off by my incorrect use of the MAKEDEV command during a troubleshooting frenzy.
It has no effect on my machine when it comes up, but, what does it mean? What have I wrought?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA