Re: e-mail client

On Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005, at 10:20 US/Central, Thomas Cameron wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Citek" <rwcitek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
How attached are you to using 'Outlook'? I ask because Thunderbird is an e-mail client that works on Windows (as old as Win98) as well as Fedora Linux (as well as OS/X, too.):

Using TBird on Windows will give you a leg-up for when you use TBird on Linux since the interface will be identical (within 0.01% difference). And it works really well. I use it at work to connect to our Exchange server.

As to the Outlook/Outlook Express vs. Thunderbird/Evo/whatever argument, there are many legitimate reasons for people to use Outlook/Outlook Express. Maybe they have a corporate standard, maybe there are technical reasons (T-Bird doesn't handle IMAP right for me), or they might just just like Outlook/Outlook Express better.

Agreed. But but that doesn't invalidate the two points I was making:
1) Thunderbird works on more than one platform: Windows, Linux, and OS/X
2) Thunderbird eases the transition from one platform to another, specifically from Windows to Linux.

If you are using Fedora Core 3, installing Thunderbird is as easy as:

  apt-get install MozillaThunderbird

or the yum equivalent.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent