Squirrelmail and Index.php

Ok, here's my configuration:
squirrelmail-1.4.4-1.FC3
httpd-2.0.52-3.1

I've got Squirrelmail and Apache setup and they're
working great!  The only annoyance is that from any
browser I should be able to type
www.myserver.com/webmail and get the login page.  It
doesn't happen unless I type in
www.myserver.com/webmail/index.php.  The 'index.php'
is entered in httpd.conf as a DirectoryIndex.
Following up on the earlier thread, adding an
additional '/' at the end of webmail, didn't fix the
problem.  The alias in the squirrelmail.conf file in
httpd/conf.d is as follows

Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail

In that directory is a file called index.php.  I've
tried changing permissions on the individual file and
the directory as a whole.  For a while I even had it
as 777 for the whole directory.  No luck still.  I put
it back to 755 and tried changing owner/group to
apache and root and random users, but to no avail.  I
do have another .php file that works just great for
phpicalendar.  So...my dillema I believe is with
squirrelmail.  Any ideas?  Or should I just give up
and create a virtual host?

Thanks!
Corey