Re: parted corrupted Windows boot?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Teuben wrote:

> The victim: a brand new Dell laptop, with a small FAT16 partition and
> big remainder of FAT32 of WinXP. We choose FAT32 so we could more easily
> share in Linux.
>
> We decided to use parted, so booted with FC3 rescue and resized the
> WinXP partition from 78 to 15 GB.
>
> Then booted to windows to check, but it failed. Decided it might be a
> MBR/Grub issue, so continued to install FC3, and confirmed Linux boots
> with the new grub, even sees the WinXP nicely, and is able to look at
> files.
>
> However, still WinXP does not boot. We also confirmed that a rescue
> boot in WinXP and running FIXMBR didn't work, so this reminds me to
> this old problem we had in Core2 where the partition table could be
> corruptedly written.  Is that a CHS vs. LBA problem?
>
> Problem is really, how do i get the partition table corrected?  I can
> reinstall WinXP, but there is still that Dell Diag partition that is
> also corrupted. ....
>
> peter
>
> PS: i saw a solution (?) on a SuSe related page: they want you do make
> a driver disk, and insert that during the boot.....

I didn't get any responses to it, but since i posted the question and
now "solved" it today (which GREAT trouble), might as well give the "solution":

	http://www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben/linux/laptop/dell-810m.html

contains my abbreviated version to this seemingly never ending
story.

I think the sort summary was a partition table which linux and windows
can't agree on, perhaps the BIOS was involved too... I'd rather forget
about the whole thing. There probably were shortcuts i could have taken,
i still would love to hear them.

peter