Re: Fedora as a LTSP server?

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 12:09, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

> > Look here:
> > http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/
> > Just ignore the education-related stuff if you don't need it. If you
> > install from their isos you get a normal fedora plus ltsp and
> > some other packages.  There is a good mailing list too.
>
> I'll try that. But do you know how it differs from a Fedora Core base
> distribution? Because if it's just about installing LTSP on a base
> distribution's installating, i'm already doing that.

It *is* a fedora base distribution with the other stuff included in
the distribution isos.  There is a scripted setup that configures
everything for you (including some somewhat unrelated but handy
things like setting the OO.org default to save in .doc format).
If you do a 2-nic configuration with clients on the 'inside' net
it will just come up working after the install.  It would be possible
to pick up the add-on packages to find what the scripts do, but
if you are just starting out it would be much easier to install
from their isos and then if you do have any problems you can get
help from some large-scale users on the mailing list with exactly
the same setup.  Or at least drop their version on a test box so
you can pull out the parts you want.

> So, these problems with me are happening only with Fedora Core. I must speak
> with someone who has implemented Fedora Core and LTSP just fine, but I can't
> find anyone that did it.

See http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Hardware for server
recommendations and hop on the k12osn mailing list.