egcs - how to know if it's there and what ver

Subject says it all: I'm trying to install something from source and one of several top installation problems listed in the howto is:
egcs older than 2.91.66 (1.1.2)
other install requirements I've been able to determine, but I can't find any description of how to tell whether I have egcs, and if so what ver - a 'locate egcs' yielded up three cryptic log files
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA