Re: Should we build i386 or i686 rpms?

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 14:10 +0800, Didier Casse wrote:
> Hello people!

Hello.

>                     I have question that's on my mind for some time now:
> Does i686-optimized packages really give us improved performance over
> some of our i386-optimized cousins?

Not a lot. You would see some difference if you are a "strong" user of
your computer; I mean if you're one of those CPU's are 988% used all the
time...

> Nowadays most people are using pentiums:

Yes but we should think about those who're using 486... they also
exist ;-)

#1 : If your box is not really slow, it's a waste of time.
#2 : The hard drives are also a speed factor. More than any compilation
optimization. Trying to optimize binaries on a low-cost IDE based system
is, in my humble opinion, no worth.

Hope this helped :-)
--
Get a fully managed dedicated server for €150/month ($200/month)
No time limit for taking care of your server.