Re: Config check for box swith two nics

> You can't direct a DNS query to a specific DNS server, that's true.
> You can, however, put multiple DNS servers in your /etc/resolv.conf
> file.  I'd suggest you put the external DNS servers in first, and your
> internal server in last.  If the name resolution doesn't happen on one
> of the external servers, it'll revert to the internal server.
>
> BTW, only the first three DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf are used.

Thank you for the reply. The reason for my thinking was due to the
fact that this Linux box was inside a Windows network that uses DNS
for the internal queries. Then my thinking brought me to the idea of
what happens when I "ifdown" the public interface? But since the
internal DNS forwards queries externally too I guess it will not be an
issue. If the internal (eth0) interface is disabled the box itself
would know enough to call on the first DNS entry since it is the
internal DNS, see it can not go there, then hit my public side DNS (on
the second line of resolv.conf) to resolve publicly anything I want to
find on the *outside*.