How to get rid of escape sequences in text file

I'm looking for a way to convert a file with control characters that do things like bold, underline, etc into a plain ordinary text file. I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Anyone have a nice simple solution? An example of a file with this problem is /usr/share/doc/pam-0.77/txts/pam.txt (this is from FC2, but I imagine the file is pretty much the same in FC3).

--
Gordon Charrick