Re: Why is /var so big?

Are you using yum? Then run a "yum clean all" and I bet you will get a
lot of space released.

Alexander

That chopped it down from 1000MB to 150MB. Thanks, Alexander!

Without looking into it too deeply, I would guess your /var/cache is
previously viewed webpages.  And it's the only thing that is really
causing you grief in /var...  The rest consumes a trival amount.

So just do a  "rm -rf /var/cache" to wipe it out.

You can make this command an alias and/or add it to your startup script
or even a regularly occuring cron action if you like.

That chopped it down further to 109 MB. Thanks, Jephthah!

Now I'm wondering what that 109MB is about and whether I need any of it...