Re: AMD Athlon64 qool'n quiet - how?

On Saturday 19 March 2005 08:04, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 19.03.2005 schrieb Zoltan Kota um 12:33:
> > I have an AMD Athlon64 3200+ machine with Fedora Core 3 (x86_64). How
> > can I exploit the qool'n quiet feature of the processor? It doesn't
> > seem to decrease the speed. cpuspeed runs and the processor is
> > recognized as I see in /var/log/messages. (Although there are some
> > warning messages as well: "powernow-k8: vid trans failed, vid 0x3,
> > curr 0x4").
> > Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
> >
> > Zoltan
>
> From the error message it seems the powernow driver tried to throttle
> down the core voltage from value 0x4 to 0x3 and failed. So we can guess
> that you edited /etc/cpuspeed.conf to set the powernow-k8 driver active?
> The module is loaded (lsmod)?. Anything you can change in the BIOS?

I have read somewhere else that this kind of error is normal... It's because
there is no good way to determine which modes your mainboard/cpu combo
support - so the driver just tries them all, and sees which ones succeed and
which ones fail.

What bios version are you running? I have a via based MSI board that needed a
bios update to work properly...

Also, this link might help: its about FC2, but...
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-21137.html

Peter.