Re: /dev/cdrom question

C Toews wrote:

Jonathan,

Thanks very much for the help. Your description of the device files was very helpful. I followed the directions on the links you gave me and succeeded in generating a symbolic link between /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdc. When I crank up the cd player (I'm using gnome-cd), it now at least looks like its playing the disc (i.e. it shows the tracks, and when I push play, the seconds tick by, etc.)

Still no sound, unfortunately. I've tried messing with the volume settings, all to no avail. I know its not a matter of a missing cable, since audio plays fine on the Windows side (I'm running this on a laptop, by the way, for whatever its worth.) I'm a little confused about which volume settings to adjust: there seem to be three volume settings of relevance, one being the volume bar on the player itself, one being the volume icon in the tray (I'm running gnome) and the third being the large sound panel with lots of different option I can access from the sound and video menu. I've tried unmuting everything via the latter and putting all other volume settings on all other volume bars up to max. Of course, with so many volume bars, it is hard to know if there might not be some particular combination of ups, downs, mutings, etc. that leads to sounds, but this seems to me improbable. I do get sound when I do the sound check, so the system knows about the sound card. The difficulty seems to be connecting the sound card to the player. I've tried other players (in particular, Grip) with the same silent results.... ;-(

Argh. I'll keep plugging away and see what happens. Thanks again for your help--if you have any more ideas, I'd be very pleased to hear them.

Best,
Carl

See http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/alsa.shtml