Re: 2 sftp questions

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 00:59 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I got sftp working, today. I have two questions I can't seem to answer:
> 1)   I first got it going by using the command line in a terminal
> window. For another reason, I happenned to be in root. I connected and
> was able to log in after clicking past the warning message about the
> unknown key and putting in my username and password. Later on, I
> discovered how to do this with gftp, also from root. Later on, when I
> tried to do this with my username, I couldn't get in, getting a message
> that the key couldn't be identified or something - so, my first question
> is, is it a good idea to be logging in as root, and if not, how do get
> past the warning?

Please post the exact error message you got. I would avoid logging in as
root if at all possible.

> 2)   Currently, I have the following two rules in iptables for ftp - do
> I really need the second?
> #to allow SSH
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
> #to allow ftp?
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state RELATED -j ACCEPT

ftp is an entirely different protocol from sftp. If you're not using
regular ftp, you shouldn't need anything specific to that protocol.
However, there may be other protocols that use this rule.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>