FC3 bare metal restore from tape on a Compaq DL380

Group:

I'm trying to restore a backup (dump format) tape to a Compaq DL380 from FC3
rescue mode. The drives are configured in a hardware raid1 array. I don't
have any issues getting to the logical drive, in fact I've made all my
partitons for the restore but my dds4 tape drive is attached to the external
port of the array controller and is seen at boot as a normal SCSI device, yet
the st module doesn't load and of course without it I can't address /dev/st0
or /dev/nst0.  Is there another module that I have to load in order for st to
load and work?  I can't even manually get modprobe to load the st module.

Thanks,

Terry