Re: DNS Bind Zone Transfer problem (FC3 Vs Debian)

On Thu, March 17, 2005 12:18 pm, Paul Howarth said:
> Flavio Borup wrote:
>> I have a FC3 Linux (Bind 9) and i´m trying to use a Debian 3 + Bind 8.2
>> as secondary DNS to do some tests.
>>
>> (Later, in a few weeks, the secondary DNS will be a ISP´s DNS and the
>> Debian will be deactivated)
>>
>> FC3 Bind 9 run as chroot, but Debian Bind 8.2 does not.
>>
>> The Zone transfer occurs only ONE time!! If i delete the zone file on
>> the Debian Bind Secondary server, the zone transfers. But if some record
>> changed on Primary, the zone does not transfer anymore...
>>
>> If i try a dig @master zone.name AXFR the transfer occrus and the Log
>> shows a successfull transfer
>> if i delete the zone file on secondary, change the zone file on master
>> and restart bind on both servers, the zone  transfer is 100%. But if i
>> change the zone file on master, restart master and try to restart slave
>> to force transfer, the zone transfer not occur and do not show in the
>> Master Log even an attempt of a transfer.
>>

>> What i can do? What i can check? can i do a full debug on log, to trace
>> the problem?
>> SOme people ask me to update the bind 8 to bind 9 (on the secondary),
>> but i don~t wann mask the problem. Other guys told me to run bind 9 on
>> Master not as chroot, but i will lower the security on the system...
>
> You are changing the SOA serial number for the zone on the master when
> you make the changes, aren't you?
>
> Paul.
>
> --

Additionally, do you have the Debian box listed as an NS record in the
zone file?  If the secondary servers aren't listed in the zone file, the
secondary won't ever be notified of changes, and won't try to transfer the
zone.

Same goes for the aforementioned serial number...if it's not updated (the
secondary server still needs to be listed as an NS record), the secondary
won't try to pull the updated zone.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit