rpms fail to add users

I have now noticed a couple of times when installing some server rpms
which run under their own limited user account (e.g openldap, httpd etc)
that the postinstall scripts in these rpms silently fail to create the user
accounts and groups and chown their files.
I think I have it tracked down to NIS running on the machine; when I
stop ypbind before installing the rpms, everything works fine.

Is this a known bug?

David Jansen

* going to check my servers to see if some service is still running as
  root because of this...