Swish-e remote FC list archive search

Hi all,

This is just a heads up. The first indexing run of the Fedora Core archives ran for over 15 hours and wasn't finished when I was forced to kill the process because it was tying up resources on my workstation. I was ssh'd into the box doing the indexing.

I've since restarted that process via a cron job and unless I miss my guess it should be completely done some time tomorrow AM EST.

Here's the URL where this index can be searched from. Since I haven't yet tested this myself I can't guarentee the links will be good ones since there is a chance the configuration is a little off - I normally like to test the configuration to make sure I've got the swish.conf file setup correctly. But since indexing this HUGE store of messages takes such a long time even over a DSL line I won't know for certain until some time tomorrow morning whether or not I've configured things correctly.

The URL to access the search engine is thus:
http://searchfedora.mdw1982.com/cgi-bin/swish.cgi

Any searches done "before" the indexing is done will return the following error:

Index file error: Could not open the index file '../searchfedora.index': No such file or directory

If you see this error it simply means that indexing is not yet complete, so come back at a later time and try again. I'm really very curious to see if Swish-e will do a better job than the current search engine being used.

If it does then I can easily pass off the configuration to someone with far more bandwidth and processor power on a server that is publically accessible for the purposes of hosting a remote archive search. Judging from the activity level of this list which directly dictates the frequency of which the index would have to be refreshed I simply don't have the bandwidth or the processing power to host a live remote search host for the archives.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996