Re: Iptables problem with allowing http

Claude Jones wrote:
Mark Weaver wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

Attempts to connect to my ip via http are being refused with a 'connection refused' - seems like the connection is live, but attempts to connect are rebuffed. Anyone spot something wrong in the above?

check and make sure the apache service is running. this is usually the problem when getting this message and you "know" the port is open.

    /sbin/service httpd restart

If I put http://localhost in my browser, my lone webpage pops up. It wouldn't do this if httpd weren't running, no?

that is correct. check in your httpd.conf file to see what IP address Apache is listening on.

on my web server this part of my config appears thusly (line 132-133):

	#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
    	Listen 80

I've got a static external IP address and the web server sits behind a firewall/gateway machine so all my virtualhost containers appear like this:

	<VirtualHost 192.168.0.4:80>
	</VirtualHost>

If you're not using VirtualHost containers then your Directory containers would appear something like this:

	<Directory "/var/www/html/some_directory_name">
	   AllowOverride All
	   Options ExecCGI # if you intend to use PERL scripts
	   Order allow,deny
	   Allow from all
	</Directory>

Still not able to get to your web host using the IP address? The next place I'd look is your host file: /etc/hosts

You've probably already, or should have, this entry in there:

# standard localhost entry
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost.localdomain
# try placing this entry in the hosts file as well
# the entry should be your external IP address or the IP address
# you've assigned to your machine with the web service running on it
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx	hostname	hostname_alias
# EXAMPLE:
# 192.168.0.10	myhostname	myhost
# OR
# 56.236.211.100	claudehome.net	claudehome.net

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996