Re: CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission

Francois Ouellette wrote:
The device always turns out to be owned by root... I use 2 user names this
machine apart from root.

Is there a symlink being created ?:

/dev/cdwriter -> hdc

No.

So it looks like the default udev rules are not detecting your device as being a cdwriter. Do you have the latest udev package?

Also what is the /etc/fstab entry for /dev/hdc ?
Mine's (all one line):
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed

0

Paul

Whatever I put in /etc/fstab it always comes back as:

/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

and /dev/hdc is owned by root with a protection mask: brw-rw----

That entry looks OK as long as you're not using SELinux.

I think that all that needs to be done is to get udev to recognise your drive as a cdwriter and set up the appropriate link. Everything else should fix itself automagically after that.

Try creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing the following line:

BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdc", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="cdrom cdwriter dvd"

I assume you have only one CD and/or DVD drive?

Then see what you get after a reboot.

Paul.