Restore ld-2.3.2-so : can I do this?

Hi,
I have Fedora Core 1 installed on my PC and on a spare partition I am trying to build a minimal Linux from scratch.

The thing is when I come to install glibc, the libraries are messed up: newly compiled ld-2.3.2.so overriding the old one coming with Fedora Core, and now I can not run any simple command.

I checked /lib directory, it seems ld-2.3.2.so is the only one get overwritten, so I am trying to restore it like this:

  1) extract ld-2.3.2.so from Fedora Core CD, glibc RPM
  2)  use Knoppix to boot the PC
  3) copy over ld-2.3.2.so

 It seems reasonable to me, but I got some problem.

1) I see several glibc-2.3.2 RPM on the first CD of Fecora Core, glibc-common.2.3.2-101.i386.rpm, glibc-2.3.2-101.i386.rpm and glibc-2.3.2-101.i686.rpm. I wonder which one I should use? My PC is Celeron 366MHz. Because I can not run rpm on my PC, I really do not know which original RPM glibc is.

2) How to extract a particular program from a rpm package? I can load the CD on another linux machine, but I do not have root permission on it, -- and I do not want to override any library on it. I tried this way:
* edit ./.rpmmacro and define %_topdir to my local directory
* rum "rpm -i <one of the 3 glibc rpm packages>
but I get some errors saying can not lock some file under root, permission denied.

Could you please help me on this?

Thanks.