Re: Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

Robin Laing wrote:
Nils Holland wrote:
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 17:14 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

I see it as an attempt to enter the Linux world, but without support and
a means of feedback to see what users like/dislike then why should
anyone choose their product.... Especially since it REQUIRES that I
already own a Windows version that I can register to try it.  I hate to
bust your bubble, but I am not going to purchase both Windows and a
windows version of Nero just to see what it is and if I like the version
on Linux.

Again, this is not necessary! If you wanted to try it, just buy a Nero 6
serial number from Ahead. That number can be entered right away in the
Windows version if you want to download that one. Now, if you want to
use the Linux version, you'd just have to go to another form on a
website (namely this one: http://register.nero.com/deu/register1.asp),
enter your serial number there, and you can download and use the Linux
version.

I think the one point you are missing is many people on this list do not have any reason for having any Windows software.  Why would I purchase a Windows program with I do not have or use any Windows machines?  This leads to the issue of why pay for a Linux program that does not have any support.  In order to try the Linux product, I must purchase a Windows product.  It isn't free to me in any way.

If I purchased the Windows version to get the Linux version, does the license allow me to sell the useless Windows version and still use the Linux version?  I really doubt it.

OK, I hear the personal objections which are very reasonable, but why are they doing it?  It would not have been a trivial task to rewrite the software. If it is a piece of market research to probe the transition dynamics from MS to Linux it could be useful.  As a billing mechanism it lacks a certain logic.
In my Windows days I had several copies of Nero, all OEM, that came free with burners. I had no incentive to buy a retail copy. It is quite a good user interface and relatively bug free. Now that I have migrated to Linux I would actually consider using Nero again, if it was in an OEM bundle. But like others I am unlikely to buy a redundant Windows version to get an unproven Linux version. So we are lost to any statistics they may be gathering.
Or perhaps they are monitoring this sort of forum to test market response?
If more of the Great Unwashed are tempted to move to Linux, the second tier branded software vendors must have some concern about loss of market and/or failure to stick with their users' changing requirements.  I would think that most will not have a valid business model in an open license environment and will be scratching their heads.
Where is the Roman Empire now , Emperor Bill ???
Gerry F