Re: CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission

Francois Ouellette wrote:
Can we set something in HAL to make sure the device entry always allows
access to others?

From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

The device should come up with permissions 0600 *but* owned by the user
logged in at the console, so that user can access the device but nobody
else can.

Do you want multiple users to be able to access the drive, or just the
console user, who is likely to be the only one that has physical access
to the drive?

Paul.

The device always turns out to be owned by root... I use 2 user names this
machine apart from root.

Is there a symlink being created ?:

/dev/cdwriter -> hdc

Also what is the /etc/fstab entry for /dev/hdc ?

Mine's (all one line):
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

Paul.