Re: telnet, ftp, and Fedora core 3

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 19:51 -0800, Betty Chang wrote:

Hi -- how do I get fedora core3 to be configured to run telnet and ftp
servers?

I've played around with the Services configuration screen, and the security
settings, but somehow I cannot get an
ftp or a telnet going.

Thanks

BEtty

Someone else has already told you about vsftp.

I do NOT recommend telnet because of security.  FC3 (as most
distributions of Linux) has ssh already installed.  To enable it simply
"# chkconfig sshd on" followed by "# service sshd start"

Then with any ssh client you can connect similar to telnet but in secure
encrypted mode.

ftp is of course as insecure as telnet, and for the same reasons. The only "safe" use of ftp is for use on servers where you want anonymous clients to be able to download files.

The better way is to set up an ssh server, as described above, which will by default also provide a "secure ftp" service, which you can access using "sftp".

Paul.