Re: Boot from USB HD?

Jess Anderson wrote:
Much discussion lately of dual booting arrangements and mention
the other day of USB drive enclosures brought it to mind that
another possible dual-boot arrangement might be to boot FC3
from the internal HD (120 GB SATA). I note in the docs for my
new mobo that the BIOS lets one select a second hard disk for
booting. My concern at the moment is whether a USB-attached
hard disk (which would be from a Win2K machine) could be
detected as that second disk at boot time.

Has anyone tried such an arrangement?

The mobo, fyi, is Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ(-C).

From my experience, if removable devices are set at higher priority than IDE devices for boot, they will always be booted first, and considered the active boot drive.

Regards,
Ed.