Re: Dual Boot with FC3-partitioning, how ?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:37:31 -0500, Jim Cornette
<fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hblennox wrote:
> > I don't have Partition Magic :(
> > How does that creating the swap-partition work ?
> > Do I have to create an extra partition (thus it being 3 partitions on the first drive) or will the linux partition be cut during installation?
>
> The linux distribution can partition the unused space. All you needed
> was to partition the space for windows. You could then do the rest of
> the partitioning with FC and its partitioning tools that are in the program.
>
> When you install Linux, it should detect the already installed Windows
> version and add a choice in the bootloader.
>
>  From there, you should be able to get the partitionig scheme that you
> desire.
>
> No partitioning programs outside the distro are actually needed.
>
> Jim

Jim is right.  You certainly do not need Partition Magic, though it
sounds like a nice program.  If you want to manually make your
partitions, I suggest using Linux fdisk.  You can use a live CD, I
recommend System Rescue CD, or Tom's RTBT is a good floppy disk
distro.  fdisk is rather "old school" (for lack of a better term), but
it should be fairly easy to figure out what to do, if you know what
you want to do.
Assuming you don't have anything on either disk right now (or at least
nothing you want to keep), then you can boot up your live CD and use
fdisk to at least create a partition for Windows.  Then you can
install Windows in that partition.  Then you can install Fedora.  You
can either create your own paritions using fdisk (either beforehand,
or by using CTRL+ALT+F2 (or F1?, one of those function keys) during
the install), or Fedora can do everything for you.  There is also a
"psuedo-manual" option with using Disk Driud (the graphical
partitioner) but it doesn't give you full control.  If you do use
fdisk, use Disk Druid with Manual partitioning to set the mount points
up and format.
Now, if you have Windows installed already and want to keep what you
have, that is a completely different story.  I'm working on a webpage
right now that describes this process.  It's actually about my
experiences with Linux on my Compaq R3000Z AMD64 laptop, but the info
about resizing an NTFS (hmm, you didn't say which Windows, I assume XP
or 2k with an NTFS filesystem) partition.  If this is the way you want
to go, I'll get you a link (and hopefully finish that section up a
little more :)).

Jonathan