Picking up root@localhost mail in normail user account

Hi

I would like to get at the mail that goes to my root@localhost account from my normal user account and I want to use Thunderbird cause that's my normal mail client.

I have had a look at various mail related howtos on the net plus the RHEL4 docs but they don't really deal with the issue of the local mail accounts, only SMTP, POP, and IMAP for remote mail (unless I missed something).

I notice Thunderbird has this Movemail account type. But when I use that it keeps asking me to change the permissions on my /var/spool/mail dir, which I would prefer not to have to do if there is a better way to solve this problem. Plus I noticed in the Thunderbird docs that this account type's implementation has a dependency on Emacs.

Does anyone know of any other ways this could be achieved? I don't know a lot about running a local POP server, would this be a better/more flexible way to access these mailboxes?

Cheers

Dan