Re: FC3 Installation Failure

Kumara wrote:
Greetings!,
Hi all,
I tried an FC3 installation in a box with Pentium iii processor, Gigabyte
M'd with VIA chip on it, ATi graphics card, 20GB HDD, 128 MBs SDRAM.
I am going to make a dual boot configuration with XP, I divided the HDD in
to two partitions (10GBX2), XP resides in the first partition and I tried
FC3 (as a Server) in the other partition.
It advised me to make ready Disk #1,2 and 3. The installation went quite
well and asked me CD #2, it also ran some more,
Then, Suddenly! it issued a message box saying that "A fatal error occurred,
this may be due to hardware failure or disk space. press OK to reboot the
system." I pressed OK, then system rebooted, there are 10GB space for this
installation. it is not enough space?
I don't understand why it failed to install
Could someone pay your attention to me? Do you need any more details?
Thank you
Mohan

Only 10 GB? That's pretty low, if you ask me. But more to the point, I think your disk is showing its age--and with such a low capacity I suspect it even more. The "hardware failure" message gave me the clue--I think that hard disk is going bad and you'll have to get another one. When hard disks fail, it first looks like a quirky boot--until the day when it won't boot at all, and you're lucky if you can boot in rescue mode and do an scp -r to another machine on your network to rescue your content. As I know only too well.

And one more thing: you don't want any disk any smaller than 120 GB for a dual-boot configuration with WinXP. Trust me on that one.

Fortunately, HDD's that size come at about a dollar a gigabyte--the bigger the drive, the more bang for the buck.

Temlakos