passwd and adduser fail on FC3

Just installed new FC3, yum update, etc.

Trying to add additional user accounts via adduser and
getting the following error:

# adduser testuser
adduser: cannot rewrite password file

# passwd
Changing password for user root.
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication failure

There's 644 on /etc/passwd and there are no lock files
that I can see.

Is adduser deprecated in FC3? If so, what should I be
using?

I apologize if this has already been discussed to
death.  I searched the list archives for "adduser" but
didn't find anything applicable.

Thanks,