Re: FC3 fail to activate (modem) with error 2

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:45:43 +0100
> From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: FC3 fail to activate (modem) with error 2
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Am Do, den 10.03.2005 schrieb Fedora Q um 17:33:
>
> > > Biggest problem is the modem. It all looks the same but maybe I've
> neglected to tick/untick something.
> > > When I ask it to activate modem (ppp0) it doesn't even start to dial just
> flicks up message saying that
> > > it "fail to activate XXX with error 2".
> > >
> > > Cannot find mention of "error 2" with regard to modem activation in
> >
> > Your modem is an external one or internal?
> >
> > Sorry, forgot to mention it's an external 56kbps Hayes-type connected to
> computer via serial port
>
> > johnno
>
> Ok, so it should be no real problem to get it running. You should maybe
> "play" with minicom to see whether the modem responds properly. And
> please see the notes on
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-17.html
>
> Alexander

Thanks. I will work my way through that How To. The biggest trouble with it being the modem playing up is
that I have to use another person's machine to find out how to fix my own! It is a bit of a worry though
that the modem got "lost" during an FC1>FC3 upgrade which I would have thought would have kept
settings as they were [Next time I think I'll install new versions as a clean install on different partition].
Same modem works fine on a WinXP machine.

Regards
johnno