Re: Still no sendmail - but a clue?

>A couple of questions:
>1. Are you connecting to your work authorised smtp server on port 25,
or are you using another port, such as 587?
>2. Are you sure that you're actually connecting to the server you think
>you're connecting to? Send yourself an email via this server and look
at the Received: headers. Are you actually going through the work
>authorised smtp server, or are you using the AOL proxy?

Yes! Paul, you are right. All my email was going via AOL, I just didn't
know. It explains a very strange problem I had thought I had with my
authorised email server once!

        >*) My authorisation credentials are still failing if I try to use AOLs
        >server. Maybe this is because I don't really get there? Should I try oto
        >reference smtp-los02.proxy.aol.com or smtp.aol.com in authinfo do you
        >think?
>
>You shouldn't be using your "work" auth info when talking to the AOL
>server. If you have "AOL" auth info, you should be using that. You
>probably don't need any at all. What you *really* need is to be using a
>valid From: address, as I believe that's what the underlying problem is

  1) A valid from address? Does that mean one that can be replied to,
     or one AOL can look up to get the IP the gave me?
  2) I see no effect of changing any of the masquerade settings. How can
I debug this?
  3) If I did get it working, I gather that root mail is NOT
masqueraded! But the whole point of this was to mail system messages to
myself automatically.
   Is there an easier way to do this? Sorry to be so slow...

               Bill