Re: Yum problems for fedora-extras....

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Fr, den 11.03.2005 schrieb Irving, Dave um 10:13:

I love this list - Im a complete linux newb but Im picking up so many
useful things!

Well, you are welcome. Communicating through this list is both for fixing with current problems but too sharing knowledge and experiences. Even if you don't need the information discussed in one thread, the knowledge might be helpful in future (if searching the archive or just remembering the discussion).

Please check to use a different mail system too. This bloody MS Exchange server always destroys the thread

Yeah, I really should do that - Im not going to be helping myself if my
posts get fragmented! Is it my exchange server screwing things up or my
client (M$ Outlook)?

It is the Exchange server doing so. Changing to a different mail client won't help. How Exchange behaves is a good example of Microsoft's way to neglect standards and doing their own thing. So your mail for instance contains a header tag

which only the Exchange server handles. Instead it erases from the mail
header lines like

(both lines taken from a different thread just for showing the usual
tags which mail clients understand for threading)

I've got two boxes - XP and linux - and I currently VNC back to XP for
work emails.
If I could only get Evolution connected to my exchange server I could
live in bliss on my linux box and forget about my windows box for 99% of
the time :o)

Keeping the Exchange server as your outgoing MTA wouldn't change anything in the show. Both thread handling and the disclaimer would stay as they are.

I do have a g-mail account, but for some reason I prefer writing emails
in a 'non browser' environment (... Not sure why though).

This point I understand well. On the other hand you should be able to use your Gmail account with any mail client of choice by accessing the account through POP3 protocol.

ingoing server: pop.gmail.com (SSL; Port 995)
outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com (SSL; Port 465)
username: username@xxxxxxxxx
special: uses SMTP AUTH. POP3 and SMTP need SSL-encryption.
The SMTP server listens on port 465, the POP3 server on port 995 (which
is standard oort for POP3 over SSL).

Dave

Alexander

Using Gmail with Thunderbird currently and have no complaints.
Threading is no problem.