Re: Fedora Desktop System Boot Time

John Wendel wrote:

David Curry wrote:

SNIP

Apparently, each of the above programs can be eliminated from boot startup by deleting the symlink files in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d & rc5.d. Are there strong reasons to not remove any of the above from boot startup?

Are there additional programs that could be dropped from boot startup without affecting the functionality of the SOHO type system outlined?

As Dave Jones mentioned, use "chkconfig" or the gui to disable services instead of messing with the symlinks by hand.

Here are the services that I run on my desktop FC3 system. Perfectly functional, except that I have scripts that I run myself that replace the normal cron scripts.

syslog
network
cups
xfs
iptables
haldaemon
messagebus

Boots from power off to level 3 login prompt in 41 seconds (including the grub timeout).

Regards,

John Wendel

Thanks, John. Your list of services is indeed pretty sparse and I love that boot time! Double checking on xfs (X font server), there is no question as to why it is there. :-)