A Gentoo Perspective Was [Re: Fedora Desktop System Boot Time]

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 02:03 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:47:32AM -0500, David Curry wrote:
>
>  > microc-ctl (assuming non-intel system)
>
> microcode_ctl in FC4 doesn't get enabled if you run it on
> non-Intel, or < 686.
>
>  > nfs, nfslock, netfs, autofs, xfs
>  > pcmcia (if not a laptop)
>
> You can get desktop PCI->PCMCIA bridge cards.
> Theoretically we could grep lspci output for pcmcia
> and only enable the service if we find something, but
> this brings two problems.
> - Docking stations. I think some older laptops only have
>   PCMCIA when docked.
> - If I added a PCI bridge after I did the install I'd need
>   to manually enable the service. Ideally, something like kudzu/hal/whatever
>   would reenable it when it discovers something new on first boot with
>   the new hardware installed.
>
>  > Apparently, each of the above programs can be eliminated from boot
>  > startup by deleting the symlink files in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d & rc5.d.
>
> chkconfig $servicename off is somewhat cleaner.

Okay.. Okay.. don't flame. but you may find this to be useful.

In Gentoo, there's a bugzilla on getting boot-up to be faster. One way
in which it is done (not new news) is to do parallelisation.

In my experimenations (look at Bootchart) on this that I've moved from
1:07 to 0.49 sec of boot-up by shaving off a few items and what nots.

one interesting thing which didn't actually made boot-up faster but what
it did was to present the X/GDM screen to the user and runs the other
startups iin the background. Its an interesting and good concept for the
desktop, but still, since it actually _adds_ to overall boot up time, I
didn't want it.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz