Re: Question about sound controls.

On Thursday 10 March 2005 12:49, James Wilkinson wrote:
>I wrote:
>> IEC958 appears to be the standard behind S/PDIF, the Sony/Philips
>> Digital Interface Format, which is what is normally used for
>> digital output. Given that, a number of sliders names become
>> clearer.
>
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Thanks for that clarification.  I've also wondered about that
>> myself. If it has to do with S/PDIF, whyintuncket was it named
>> IEC958 in the first place?
>
>It's the usual situation: the manufacturers (Sony and Philips) come
[...]
>Where a brand name is limited by trademark or is too closely
> associated with one or two manufacturers, you will often find
> people using the standard name so as not to appear to endorse those
> manufacturers. And S/PDIF's full name includes both "Sony" and
> "Philips".

Unforch James, >99.94% of the rest of the world calls it something
that sounds like 'espahdif'.  Most (me included) don't give a R.A.
what the 'SP' stands for in the real world.  Now if it was M$DIF,
that might be a different colored horse in this camp.  In that case,
the rest of the world would probably call it some variation of
EMESDIF

And, standards committee named or not, spdif is the actual, common
useage by consensus of at least the english speaking world.

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)