Re: What goes in /etc/hosts?

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:55:52PM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Suppose my FQDN is a.b.c.  I'd like to set hostname to a.b.c.  What goes
> in /etc/hosts?  I believe that X won't work unless you have:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain a.b.c
>
> But this won't work with nfs4.  If hostname is set to a.b.c and the entry
> a.b.c is in hosts under 127.0.0.1, then when I try to mount a server (a.b.c
> is client) I get this:
> >> mount: can't get address for a.b.c
>
> I guess mount isn't figuring out there is an eth0 interface and using that
> address.  If I remove the entry from hosts, and set the hostname to just
> 'a', mount works.

It makes no rhyme nor reason for me as to why RH installer or
network config tools set up /etc/hosts the way they do (as you
describe above). It clearly doesn't work right.

I always find I have to manually fix it. The correct form
should be like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.1 myhost myhost.mydomain

unless your machine is assigned an address by dhcp, in which
case use only the first line.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,