problem launching emacs from panel

When I try to add a custom emacs launcher to the panel in both KDE and gnome, it doesn't work. I get the following error:
Cannot open load file: term/x-win

It also doesn't work when I use the programming->emacs button from the main menu.

When I start emacs from a shell it works fine. What is different about launching it from the panel that could cause this error? Thanks...

                   David

PS - I'm running fc3. On redhat9, I was able to launch emacs from the panel using the same user account.