Re: fc3, sendmail, dovecot: cannot receive from outside

Am Mi, den 09.03.2005 schrieb rado um 16:26:

> yes I have a zoom router which is 10.0.0.1 in this system. it is
> connected via PPPoE to my ISP. The details of that connection are in the
> above. The primary dns server is right on this machine or on 10.0.0.12
> when it's running. it's a split dns system whereas I have an outside
> zone that is the only thing public to the world and I have my private
> "inside" zone that handles my lan. Split DNS is not, how to say, "off
> the wall" but fully documented in the bind manual. the config word is
> "view" that does the splitting... so much for dns. Both this server and
> the problem server 10.0.0.12 call out 10.0.0.1 as the gateway.

Just as a side note: yes, I know what bind views are.
So you have a router. I don't know how you expect it to work. But it
must contain a forwarding rule that says that traffic coming in to port
25 has to go elsewhere, i.e. IP 10.0.0.10 or 10.0.0.12. I said that
already early in conversation: you will have to correct that setting
each time you switch the 2 hosts. That has nothing to do with any DNS
setup. It happens on a lower layer. Or how do you think the packages
will find their way to the LAN hosts with private block IPs? Too you
must run NAT, what Bob already asked for.

> John Rose

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:36:09 up 2:48, 16 users, 0.15, 0.16, 0.09