Re: FC3 Security

Scot L. Harris wrote:

I don't know about this particular university but students tend to do
stupid things given half a chance. And some of them are quite
knowledgeable regarding networks and those things called computers. :)

A simple sample of how a student can do a stupid thing and annoy the IT personnel and half of the other users:

The teacher , during the Operating Systems class , mentions that most OSs dont limit the allocation of memory and
that with a excessive use of memory allocation without freeing , you could crash any machine.
Student goes out of class , logs in the main machine used by everyone in the department , and compiles a simple
while(1) { malloc } program.... He runs it once.. Machine goes offline.. Probably thinking it was just a coincidence ,
he runs it again... And a third time ... No wonder he got his account suspended for 1 month ;)

So , yes.. Students will do something stupid if they have the chance (and trust me... there's lots of chances for stupid things)

--
Pedro Macedo