RE: Port 25 closing?

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 11:18 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
>

> I'm suspecting that you aren't aware that INCOMING and OUTGOING rules
> are part and parcel of iptables/netfilter as well (omitting for a second
> FORWARDING). No 'firewall' would really be a firewall if it didn't cover
> both types. The 'system-config-security' tool rather glosses over these
> issues - the distinction of inbound/outbound/forward rules - it's
> somewhat of a ignorant tool.

Yes I am well aware of this.  My point was to establish that setting
rules allowing incoming and outgoing traffic with SP2's firewall doesn't
always work.  In a lot of cases I disabling the firewall is the only way
to make that behaviour stop.

> Thus it is not a matter of Windows Firewall from XP SP2 being a bit much
> for the Windows end user - but rather a matter of being a proper tool.
>
> Starting with NT4, Windows has had packet filtering at the network
> adapter level and that was clumsy to use and probably inefficient.
>
> But discussing Windows on this message base is entirely off topic - I
> just thought it necessary to straighten out this mis-information since
> people are so eager to blame Microsoft for their own lack of knowledge
> of the processes involved.

Personally, I'm not blaming MS for anything.  It was high time Windows
OS's came with a firewall.  The tool itself is pretty useful and fairly
intuitive, however, it's not consistent.  Which is SOP in most MS
products I've ever dealt with.

> Craig

Mark Haney
markh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) Kernel: 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 GNU/Linux
13:08:39 up 5 days, 2:48, 2 users, load average: 3.02, 2.95, 2.20