Re: FC3 Security

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 07:03, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> Again, a logical solution (to a totally unnecssary problem).
> Unfortunately, the university does not allow having more than one
> computer on a port. (I don't think they really enforce this from what I
> have seen but the data center again would go ballistic even mentioning it.)

Is it just an accident of location that you are dealing with the
data center people rather than the university IT dept?  If not,
I'd take the box home and start looking for a more helpful university.
I can understand the data center not wanting unknown boxes on their
LAN, but then that LAN shouldn't be your only choice.

But, for a quick fix: could you set up some kind of VPN for your
inbound connection other than ssh?   IPSec, OpenVPN, CIPE, etc.
and shut off all other services?  Those would not respond to the
port tests that found your ssh server, but you would need a
matching client wherever you work.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx