Re: x86_64 Issues?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:10:31 -0500, jim lawrence <fedorajim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:01:47 +0000, Thiago Guzella
> <thiago.guzella@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I have been running FC2/FC3 on a x86_64 box for roughly 6 months now, so:
> >
> > > 1.  no flash player for firefox
> > you can TRY to live with swfdec (check freshrpms.net) until macromedia
> > finally releases a 64 bit version
> >
> > > 2. java plugin won't work
> > we will have to wait... the last resort would be to run a 32-bit
> > version of firefox...
>
> i was trying to help another user last night to install the i686
> version of firefox but it wouldn't install for him.  Don't remember
> what the issue was.

Did they have the x86_64 version installed at the time?  I think you
have to remove that one first.  If you were trying to use yum, you
will need to add a .repo file for the i386 repos.  I have the
following:
$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.i386.repo
[updates-released-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386 - Released Updates

baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/
#[snip, put local mirrors here]

enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.i386.repo
[base-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386 - Base

baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/
#[snip, put local mirrors here]

enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Then you can just do: "yum --enablerepo=updates-released-i386 install
firefox" (perhaps you might need to specify "firefox.i386" I'm not
sure)  Also, you can simply download the rpm file from a mirror and do
an rpm -ivh firefox*.rpm  Works for me.  Also, this works very well,
not just as a last resort.

To Jim:
I have also been using FC2/3 x86_64 since the end of last summer.  It
works great, FC3 supports x86_64 very well.  I have a laptop, and now
ndiswrapper even supports my wireless card in 64-bits, I think that
was the last thing I've really had trouble with due to being 64-bit.
If you develop code in 64-bit to run on 32-bit, you have to watch out
for a few things : ).  What kind of computer are you looking at?

Jonathan